Indian aviation is seeing a continuous rise in the number of passengers from the last few years. Air travel has become accessible to many with lower flight fares. With the government schemes like UDAAN, the airfares are going to be more reasonable and the air service is going to be cheaper than earlier rates. Indian airline companies are taking this transition positively and providing good air services to Indian and overseas travellers. Let us have a quick glimpse over major Indian airline companies:
- Air India is considered as the most reputed government airline company in India. Despite passing through many financial problems, Air India has still maintained its spot as the most likely government airline carrier in India. India’s flag carrier started operations 69 years ago. The government later undertook it. Today, it is the third largest airline company in India concerning passengers carried.
- SpiceJet is ranked numero uno among all the private airlines in India. It was founded in 2005, and today it is the fourth largest airline carrier in India by the number of passengers carried. It has a market share of 13.1 per cent in Indian aviation industry.
- Jet Airways is ranked as the second most reputed private airline company in India. The airline company started operations in 1993. It is the second largest airline carrier in India after IndiGo. Jet Airways has a passenger market share of 21.2 percent.
- IndiGo has been ranked third among the most reputed private airlines of India. It was founded in 2006, and today it is the largest airline in India concerning passengers carried. It has the highest market share in India of 36.8 percent.
- oAir is ranked fourth among the most reputed private airlines. GoAir was founded in 2005 and is the fifth largest airline in India with an eight per cent passenger market share.
- AGirAsia is ranked as the fifth most reputed airline company in India. It started its operations in the country in 2013. Also, AirAsia is the largest airline company in Malaysia. It is a joint venture, between AirAsia, Arun Bhatia, and Tata Sons. AirAsia has a holding of 49 per cent, Tata Sons has 30 per cent, whereas Arun Bhatia has 21 per cent stake in the airline.
- Vistara is ranked sixth amongst the most reputed airline in India. Vistara started operations in 2015 and is a joint venture between Tata Sons and Singapore Airlines. The airline has carried more than two million passengers by June 2016. Vistara being the newest entrant has a market share of 2.3 per cent in the domestic market.